Thursday, March 15, 2012

2006-2012 A Good Run Indeed

This morning I put my sunglasses on as I eased the car into reverse. Eric was in the passenger's seat and he made eye contact with me as he said, "Why don't you do me a favor and go get some new sunglasses for yourself today?" Now before you think my husband is just rude I think I should probably share the rest of this story with you...

The year was 2006, yes 2006 my friends. I was at a thrift store and there were a pair of sunglasses on a twirly rack by the check out. I grabbed them on a whim and they fit my big melon (I have a large brain you see). So I spent the $1.40 that was required of me. I have no idea why I remember how much they cost.

I only wore them occasionally at first, but as other sunglasses came and went in my life these bad boys became my go to glasses. They fit my head, they didn't make a huge statement, they were just right. Over the years I have lost them, left them, and found them again more times than I can count. Perhaps that should have been my first clue, nobody ever kept them---they were always right where I left them.

Sometime last year they were bent a bit. I didn't think it was that obvious so I just kept on truckin' with my faithful friends...until this January when I saw this picture. Yes, the sunglasses really rest on my face at that angle.

img_3735

I realized then that they needed some repair, but it never crossed my mind to let them go. I have since tried to get them back to their original shape, but to no avail. I just keep wearing them anyway.

IMG_4606

Today though, I came to realize that I must let go. I must say goodbye to my old friends. I will soon head out in search of my new go to glasses. Wish me luck my friends.

7 comments:

Roxanne said...

They look so good on you! The new sunglasses today are small and ugly, hope you find some that are just as gorgeous.

bel said...

Good luck!

I hope that all your go-to glasses cost so little and bring so much joy!

Bettina said...

Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one who perserveres with things like this. It's like the less it cost the more determined I am to make them work!

Kirstens Kitchen said...

I want to see a picture of the new shades!

Kate said...

Good luck!

Susan said...

Oh, that makes me sad.

Tammie said...

it's not going to be the same without those sunglasses. they've been on the blog a lot.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...