Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Project: Personalized Jean Jacket

The other day Eric found a Cordelia sized jean jacket. He was really excited about it. I thought the jacket was cute, but I didn't fully understand until Eric started talking about his jean jacket from childhood with a certain misty nostalgia. I guess he would apply cool rock patches and he felt pretty awesome. Naturally he wanted the same for his girl...or some sweetened toddler version of that.

Yesterday we ran to our local craft/sewing shop and looked for some patches that were both cool and 2 year old approved. I say we, but this was really a project for Eric and his girl, I just bore witness. I watched as Eric gave her plenty of patch options without trying to impose his own will on her. Cordelia chose several patches for her jacket settling on a robot, some white stars and a girlie skull and cross bones---she said it was just like a pirate. I had been reading her a pirate book earlier in the day and when I used my most impressive pirate voice she gave me a concerned look and said, "Easy now, easy now." Anyway, it wasn't a huge surprise to see the pirate theme again with our girl.

When we got home I gave our gal a bath while Eric set to work on his project of adhering the iron on patches in just the right configuration. When the bath was done I put on her pajamas (we call them jim jams for the record) and she rushed to her father to inspect his handiwork. Wow, she was super impressed and over the moon. She put the jacket on over her jim jams and ran to the mirror, turning to inspect the patches from all angles.

Cool girl 3



Cool girl 2

The results are a sweet collaboration and so much more personal than a plain old jacket! She is feeling pretty proud of herself this morning and is very excited to show her grandparents her new jacket.

11 comments:

AKM said...

LoveloveLOVE this. And the "easy now." Heheheheh.

affectioknit said...

Super CUTE!

Have a lovely day!

Roxanne said...

Pirates and Robots, what a combination!
Jacket looks great Eric, good job!

Stacy said...

Oh, a super cute... dare I saw replacement for the blue jacket!! Love it.

Kate W. said...

What a stylin' girl you have there! She is such a cutie -- but growing up way too fast!

Tahra said...

Have we one-upped Boo Coat?

Susan said...

It is totally cool! And any Dad who takes that kind of tender care for his daughter is totally cool as well!

Maria Rose said...

I hope that blue coat is done for, but it always turns back up in our lives. I vow to make it disappear before baby #2 arrives to carry on the legacy!

Emily said...

Very rocker chic. She looks adorable!

Bettina said...

I love that Eric was so excited to do this. It sounds like my husband when he gets one of his 'ideas'.

Rudy said...

Gorgeous ! Nice outfit !thanks for sharing us.I'll be glad If you visit this website true religion store .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...