Thursday, March 29, 2012

Love Letter to Wyoming

Dear Wyoming,

I think I should start off with an apology. I am sorry that I always compare you to Montana when I know you never could be my homeland, it's just not fair to compare you two. With that said, I would like to tell you that in the nearly three years (!??!) that my family has been living here I have found that I love you in a way I never anticipated. While our relationship may not last forever I just want you to know that I am thankful for every moment we do spend together.

antelope

Thank you for giving me a home and a community that is far more accepting than I ever expected. Honestly when Eric and I moved here we fully expected to feel like outsiders, but the exact opposite has happened. Our community has embraced us in a way we could never have dreamed; friendships and opportunities seem to fall into our laps.

Thank you for giving my family a place to wave our freak flags. I have never felt limited, restricted, or judged for being who I am. I had anticipated something of a negative reaction to our veganism, but the Wyomingites really do have a live and let live policy. I mean where else could a person feel comfortable wearing a live snake on their head like a turban (true story) or to wear pajamas exclusively (not my thing, but kind of a trend in some circles here)?

bird on wire

While there are parts of you that I can never accept (rodeos, ranching, etc.) I appreciate that you have given us a place to raise a family. A place where the natural world is always close at hand: turkey walking down the street, sure---raccoon hanging out in downtown sewer, of course---deer tracks in the yard, always. A place that nurtures an independent spirit. A place with people who are focused on their family. A place with more generous people than I have ever experienced in such close proximity.

mountains

Thank you Wyoming for being our first family home.
Sincerely,
Maria Rose

6 comments:

Kate said...

Wyoming sounds exciting in its own way Would LOVE to see the raccoon! I, too, won't accept rodeos or ranching.

Anne Marie said...

Beautiful!

Allen said...

WYOMING!!! I love it also. I think I will stay.

Rick said...

It's nice to know that others (who haven't grown up here) can also see it as home. Two years in Nebraska made me appreciate Wyoming even more.

Susan said...

That was beautiful, honey.

Stacy said...

Lovely love letter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...