Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Project: Matryoshka Dolls

Sometimes our family just wanders the aisles of the craft store looking for inspiration, a new idea, or even just checking out the products. Yesterday was one such day. Cordelia and I ended up down the aisle that is home to unfinished wood products because Cordelia likes to look at the wooden alphabet. I happened to spy an unfinished matryoshka set and it seemed like a fun project for the evening. So I bought it for $5.

done 2

If you want to make your own you will need:

blanks
  • A Matryoshka blank set. If you can't find them at your local store they are all over the place online. I found several here is one.
  • Paint. I used the paints I had sitting around my house.

brushes

  • Paintbrushes.
  • A little creativity. I just made lady dolls this time, but there are so many cool things you could do with these. Any kind of theme that strikes your fancy.

Here is how I did it.

painted bodies

  • First I painted them all. The lighter colors took a couple of coats of paint.

ovals

  • Then I painted on a little oval for each face.

lips

  • Next I went through and added lips. Followed by eyes, hair and a bow.
  • Lastly I added a flower on the front and a little detail across the bottom.

details

done1

Done deal!

12 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Ooh! I love matryoshkas! I have got to get a set of these for Megan to paint! She will probably make hers animals or dragons.

affectioknit said...

We have two sets...one that we got from my sweet sister is little nesting Santas...so fun at Christmas...and the other we bought from the traveling Artist in Residence at his school...Scout loved playing with them when he was little...

We love Matryoshka dolls too...

Have a lovely day!

Susan said...

I love them! Would you consider making some for Wyoming Rose Boutique for people who don't want to do them on their own? I know it probably takes some time but maybe someday?

Emily said...

Those look great! I had a set when I was little that I loved. My parents brought them back from a trip as a gift for me. I think doing this with my girls would be a fun, collaborative project.

Victoria said...

What a cute project. I'll bet Cordelia loved this!

AKM said...

Oh my gosh, I love those! And your mom is right. :-) (Only if you had the time and the inclination, of course.)

Rachel said...

Wonderful idea! I like the little black mole that alternates sides on each one!

elizabeth said...

fun deal. :)

Carmen said...

Those are great!

Helena said...

Cute dolls! And your girl is so big already!

Tammie said...

very very cool! and i second susans suggestion. i love matryoshkas, collect them, and would totally buy a set!

fromrussia said...

Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been weeks for me. Well, this is the article that I’ve been waited for so long. Thanks, great share.long. Thanks, great share.
russian gift
matryoshka
nesting doll
russian dolls
russian hat

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...