Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Project: Garden Stepping Stone

I am always on the lookout for projects that I can tackle with a 2 year old. Yesterday I had a big crafting success with Cordelia. While you may think the results are garish I can assure you that my little lady seems to think that they are sooo beautiful. I am going to show you our effort, but you could very easily make this project in a manner that suits your aesthetic values.

stepping stone 1a

You will need:
  • Plaster or concrete, easily found at a home store or even craft stores (mix according to directions)
  • A mold. We used a round plastic mold, but you can use anything that will easily pull away when the plaster is dry (a cardboard box, plastic containers from food, etc.)
  • Anything that you think might be awesome in a garden stone. We used beads, buttons, glitter, glass stones, etc.
  • Time to dry

Directions

Mix your plaster or concrete according to instructions. Don't forget to work in an area that can withstand a little mess.

Stepping stone 1

I didn't have a disposable bucket so I just put a bag around a mixing bowl.

Pour your plaster or concrete into your mold.

Stepping stone 3

Start decorating. Cordelia just started assaulting the plaster with beads, buttons, glitter, etc.

Stepping stone 4

If you are interested in making something a bit more sophisticated you could easily make a pattern with river rocks. Press some plants into the plaster as it firms up, etc.

Set it aside to dry overnight. Remove from the mold. If you used something that you had laying around the house you may need to use an exacto knife to cut it away. Really it should be a quick and easy removal process as the plaster shrinks as it dries.

The final step is to find a great place to display your work.

Stepping stone 5

stepping stone 6

A fun project for kids, but one that could also just be cool for anyone.

9 comments:

affectioknit said...

I agree with Cordelia! It's beautiful!

Have a lovely day!

Kate said...

I think it's lovely, too! When my son did a few, 2 years ago, they came out roughly the same way, lol, so she's ahead of her age! I think H~ enjoyed breaking the "mistakes" as much as making the stones.

AKM said...

I love it. It's gorgeous, not garish. The little lady's got mad style, yo. ;-)

Emily said...

It's almost too pretty to actually step on!

Victoria said...

Oh! Didn't she do well!! Beautiful! Enjoy your day!! xo

Michelle said...

Being able to do things like this is one of the big bonuses of being able to be home with your children. You build memories and bonds for both parent and child. I treasure the memories of those days with my kids.

One of the craziest things I remember doing (from my viewpoint today) was making ten apple pies with ten little Blue Birds aged 8-9. But it was fun and they felt so accomplished!

P.S. I always have a terrible time with the warped words.sn

Roxanne said...

Sometimes kids do a better job than adults because we are so worried about the final product and how it will look. The stone is great and her character shines through!

Susan Struck said...

That is cool!

Kirstens Kitchen said...

I am going to do this with leeluu! Thanks. I like the use of buttons...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...