Thursday, April 5, 2012

Vegan Recipe: Pasta Printemps

pasta printemps 1

Oh I do love when all of the fresh veggies start to show up in the produce section this time of year. I almost forgot what truly fresh looking fruits and veggies actually tasted like, near the end of winter everything tastes kind of woody to me. Needless to say the infusion of super-fresh gets me all excited to put those flavors to work. Last night I took a bunch of the veggies I had gathered and put them all together. I am sharing my recipe below, but you should know that there is no hard and fast rule here, just go with what is fresh. Add some peppers or peas or whatever looks good to you!

Ingredients
  • 12 oz pkg. of spaghetti noodles--though any pasta would probably work just as well
  • 1 Tbs. olive oil
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 c. grape tomatoes
  • 8-10 stalks of asparagus, woody portion of stem removed and the stalks cut into 1-2 inch bite sized pieces
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 zucchini, cut into half moons
  • 1 can chickpeas, drained
  • 1/4 c. grated carrot
  • juice from one half of a lemon
  • basil to taste--our store was out of fresh basil so I had to buy the pre-chopped basil in a tube and I used about 2-3 tsp., but freshly torn basil would be super

Directions

  • Cook pasta in a big pot, according to directions
  • While the pasta is cooking heat a large skillet and the olive oil over med. high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion becomes translucent.
  • Add the tomatoes and heat until they begin to lose their firmness.
  • Add the asparagus, zucchini, and salt.
  • Mine was looking a bit dry so I spooned in a bit of the pasta water (your call). Cover and cook until the tomatoes begin to break down a bit (maybe 5 minutes).
  • Add the chickpeas and the carrot.
  • By this point your pasta should be done. Drain, reserving a bit of pasta water in case things look dry still.
  • Combine the pasta and veggies. Add the lemon juice and toss. Add a bit of pasta water if things are looking dry.
  • Here you can add the chopped fresh basil or freshly torn basil. I think more is better but it is certainly a matter of personal preference.
  • Enjoy!

pasta printemps 2

5 comments:

Emily said...

Sometimes it's the simple, uncomplicated things like fresh veggies tossed together with pasta that make the best meals. Minus the asparagus in my case. :)

Anne Marie said...

Sounds yummy! I will have to try it with my gluten free pasta.

Victoria said...

Oh I do wish I could buy fresh basil around here. Looks delicious!

sophie said...

YUM! I love veges so much!

Mina said...

That looks lovely, I don't think I could persuade my family to eat sauce-less spaghetti though :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...