Saturday, May 12, 2012

Cabinet of Curiosities

Are you familiar with the term kunstkamer? No? I am shocked! The Kunstkamera was the first museum in Russia, but it sprung from a  cabinet of curiosities. Eric and I looove the idea of a cabinet of curiosities, but we really just don't have the time, money or inclination to really apply ourselves to the concept. I am, in general, opposed to mass collecting unless one has the space to house and care for a collection so you can see our conundrum. Furthermore, we have a family and animals so there shall be no amassing of priceless curiosities in our home.


cabinet of curiosities

Instead I have developed a cabinet of eccentricities. I found a small "cabinet" at a thrift store and I spray painted it in the back yard. Since then I have been filling the space with random tidbits that strike my fancy, everything from historic war bullets to mini-televisions. Pretty much the same thing right?

3 comments:

Emily said...

LOVE this idea. I may have to copy. :) Growing up my mom and Grandma each had these wooden cabinets similar to yours where they would showcase miniature things. I loved them. I might have to go to my parent's house and do an attic search to see if I can find them....

Roxanne said...

I would like to have one of those, then shelving and side tables can become less cluttered.

Victoria said...

I think my house is a Kunstcamera!! Ha!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...