Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A Plague Upon Both Our Houses

Oh, wasn't that quite a dramatic title?! We have had a rather dramatic week here in Wyoming, but I think that the storm has passed. All of the drama started late Sunday morning with a nasty stomach virus that hit Cordelia first before working its way through our ranks and even reared its ugly head at my parent's house as well. The kind of sickness that we will reflect upon for years to come.

Few things rank higher on the awful scale than a stomach flu. Yet we managed to make it extra challenging on ourselves as Eric was out of town (sick in a hotel is never good) and then had to find his way home (sick and traveling is worse). I am hugely pregnant (sick and pregnant = contractions galore) and we have company at our house. Oh my. Oh my!

So, why am I telling you about our pukey wimpy family? I never write complainy blogs....oh that's because I am not complaining. You see the shadow of this sickness has passed and left me with a renewed gratitude for the health that my family regularly enjoys. I can't imagine what people who have chronic illness deal with, the inner strength that it takes them to get through every day. We were slammed down by one little bug for just a few days and it felt like the whole world was out of order.

I am so thankful that we have the general good health to fight something like this off. I am so thankful for my parents (who managed, so far, to avoid this) for their concern when so many in their crew were down for the count. I am so thankful for our friend Andy who is the most laid back company in the world---and handled our plague without batting an eyelash. Hopefully we didn't share! I am thankful that I found new depths in myself to keep it together even when I didn't feel like I could. I am thankful that my girl is feeling better today and that my husband has passed through the worst of it. More than anything I am thankful that I can eat again. I am hungry!

Today I am ready to get back out and rejoin the world with Cordelia in tow. I think Eric still probably needs to rest up and recover for one more day before he feels completely normal. I am hoping my brother Sam is in the same boat.

sweet girl

Anyway I am off to enjoy one of Andy's shows with Cordelia and to put this illness into the family lore.


6 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Stomach flu is the worst! Glad you are all on the mend.

glutenfreehappytummy.com said...

so glad everyone is feeling better:)

Carmen said...

I'm glad you are all on the mend. I was wondering if it would set off contractions, or labour?

Roxanne said...

Being sick sucks... Feel better soon!

Emily said...

Thus ends the stomach plague of 2012. Thank goodness! Enjoy your day!

Susan Struck said...

I am so glad you are better! You handled it all well but I'm sure being pregnant having company sick child in the house would have been exhausting enough without getting sick yourself.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...