Thursday, September 13, 2012

East or West or What?

horse

Eric was born in Rome.....New York. His family lived in New York for generations. Eric, however, grew up in New Mexico and has spent most of his life in the West. Regardless of this fact he seems to identify with the East. I, on the other hand, am a very Western girl. For me the Eastern U.S. is this continual big city (which I know is untrue), a great place to visit, but almost as foreign as a different country. I have a deep and abiding fear of the Deep South which can be blamed on too many horror movies about mutant families living in the hills. Yes, I know it is irrational and untrue (or is it?).

My heart and home have always been in the West. I love the wide open spaces, the ability to see for miles, I adore the untamed nature that is still pervasive in the West. I appreciate how spread out things are. I love that in the West one can truly be alone, not that I ever am alone.  I like to keep my options for solitude open. The wild mountains and the endless plains are where I surely belong.

Do you identify more with the east or the west...or somewhere else?

3 comments:

affectioknit said...

...not sure I think I love them both...I grew up in the East...and then spent 7 years in ND which I loved...

~Have a lovely day!

Anonymous said...

*Shudder* The Hills have Eyes...

Eloise xx

Sarah said...

While I love the lushness of the East and the humidity...I don't think I could live there. Humidity plus heat in summer...harsh, wet winters, ice storms... meh.

I think I'm more of a west coast/pacific northwest girl.

I was in Memphis, TN visiting a friend once and caught a bunch of trouble for ordering a "pop." Then immediately identified me as a "yank." Wow. Also, they still have Piggily Wiggilys. I didn't realize those were real things!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...