Friday, January 11, 2013

Vegan Recipe: Banana Squirrel

Cordelia calls this healthy treat a Banana Squirrel....so just roll with it. The explanation is long and unclear, so let's just move forward with this vegan recipe for kids.

Snack

Anyway....

Did you know kids need to snack a lot? Neither did I before I became a mother. I just assumed that those ladies with cereal rolling out of their diapurses (Diaper bag + purse = diapurse...I should cash in on that label) were just in a hurry that morning and had packed up cereal to toss at their children while on the move. Then I realized the cold hard truth. Kids need to snack a lot and it should probably be healthy. AARGH why can't I just throw out a handful of chocolate chips and call it good?! That's what I would want someone to do for me----OK, OK, I admit that I do it for my own self, no shame here.

So now I am constantly on the lookout for healthy and tasty vegan snacks that incorporate whole foods and don't take a small eternity to create. I have a revolving selection of healthy-ish choices, but the Banana Squirrel is currently in heavy rotation. Let me share this simple recipe...and you don't have to be a three year old to enjoy it.
Let me say that I generally prep this at lunch time so it is ready by snack time.
1 banana, cut up into a few chunks
1/4 c. fresh cut pineapple (or blueberries, strawberries, etc.)
1/4 c. vanilla almond milk
Put it all together and toss in the freezer for an hour or two, you don't want it frozen solid. Blend it and add sprinkles, coconut flakes, etc.
Baboom! Snack!

6 comments:

Kate said...

We do a lot ob banana ice cream recipes, too. I'm a little taken aback each time when my babes don't call me out for ice cream fraud, but nope. They think I'm brilliant. I encourage these thoughts.

Sarah Purdy said...

Yum! I'll have to try Banana Squirrel!

Stacy said...

I saw a frozen banana and peanut butter recipe recently.... this looks good too.

sara said...

we love banana soft serve. i'll have to try this, and of course i will call it banana squirrel when i serve it to the kids, cause that's awesome.

Tammie said...

i want some banana squirrel.

and you should totally cash in on diapurse.

Anonymous said...

Just stumbled across your blog as I was searching for why my 5 year old son calls blended frozen bananas "banana squirrels". He said he heard it on a TV show but there we go, we have banana squirrels at our house too! Although ours is just the one ingredient but I'll try to fancy it up a bit.

Sara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...