Thursday, August 22, 2013

Project: Nature Table

I love spending time outside with our girls. They love it too. I am trying to ensure that each of them grows to feel a strong connection to our planet. I want them to be food growing, recycling, tree loving ladies. While Eirc and I don't yet own acreage where I can let them roam I do give them access to nature. I spend hours in the backyard with them. We watch bugs. We play. We daydream. Cordelia loves to make collections while Elise just loooves to hold handfuls of leaves.

Often we take little adventures to check out the river, creeks, mountain. Cordelia searches for treasures (see this post) to bring home and then she artfully arranges them on the nature table.

nature table

We use the nature table to talk about our adventures. Cordelia is constantly editing it, playing with the stones, touching the grasses, etc. Cordelia doles out items for Elise to enjoy too.

nature table

The nature table is a work in progress, constantly evolving. It has been a great way to keep nature as a part of our lives, not just as that thing that is outside of our home.

nature table

Also, on the same subject. I highly recommend this book. I haven't finished it yet, but so far I am loving it!

2 comments:

Sarah Purdy said...

What a cool idea!

Michelle said...

What a great idea! Our kids always picked up things from outdoors, but I never thought of making a special place to display them. I remember taking walks as a child and always coming back with a pocketful of rocks. Makes me sad to think that so many kids are missing out on what we used to call "nature walks." Ant hills were one of the things that I found endlessly fascinating.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...