Friday, January 24, 2014

Grandma Rose's Plant

plant

My Great Grandma Rose passed away in 2010. I still find it difficult to believe that she is gone. I can still picture her home, the sights, the smells. I can see her sitting in her chair, looking out over her family, taking us all in. I can clearly picture her blue eyes, which grew increasingly light as she aged. I do miss her, but I feel as though she still is here in some ways. Perhaps it is because she is so present in my life. I sleep under her quilt. I wear her earrings. I share a part of her name. She's always with me. I know most of my family feels the same way.

My Grandma Grace, of of Rose's daughters, gave my mother and I a clipping from a Christmas cactus that she had taken as  a cutting from her mother. I received the cutting from her own now vibrant offshoot. I tried not to be superstitious with the plant, but I will admit I really wanted it to live.

I have had the clippings for about a year now. The first six months very little happened, but now things are changing. The plant is beginning to thrive and grow. It's a small thing, but it's just another way to keep memory alive and in my life.

2 comments:

affectioknit said...

How nice that you have a living reminder too...

~Have a lovely day!

Mom said...

I just went back and read what you wrote about her the day after she died. I cried all over again. I'm glad it still hurts to miss her, though. It only hurts because she was such a special part of our lives and I'm so very grateful for all the years we had her.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...