Friday, January 31, 2014

Little Things

This time of year it is easy to get a little down with all of the polar vortexes and flu season and whatever. Everybody has something that isn't right in their life. When I talk to people I often find that small talk tends to veer toward the negative. That's lame. I mean, there's no reason to hide away the cruddy parts of your life....it is an important way we connect with fellow humans, but why not find a little balance there?

I started a little personal exercise while recovering from  depression last year and it has become something of a habit at this point. I list off things that are good, little things that make my life worth living. I have always done this at times, but I now try to do it every single day.  For today's post I am going to share some of my little things with you.

  • Sitting on the couch for a morning cuddle with the girls. Even though it was ridiculously early it was so sweet that it didn't seem to matter.
  • Betty Sprinkles snuggling up to the space heater, which we turn on just for her.
  • Finishing up work for my show which will open on the 21st!!!
  • Planning several big art events for the next year, onward and upward!
  • This...
bumsnow
  • Elise insisting on wearing her snowboots, which she calls "No Boots" all day long.
  • Listening the the sqeauls and songs that Cordelia makes as she plays with her My Little Ponies
  • The daily interruptions to my yoga routine: dogs, kids, phone calls, mailed packages. All of those things that are reminders that I am at a very specific time in my life. One that I will probably spend the rest of my life missing once it has passed.
  • Talking on the phone with my mother after a long day.
  • Meeting with my dad after Cordelia is done with preschool.
  • Face time with my brother Ben who lives so far away. Makes him feel closer.
  • Coffee and a drive with Sam.
  • Sitting and chatting or watching a show with Eric after the girls are asleep and the house is quiet.
  • Exercising and talking with my bestie on Saturday mornings.
  • Baking.
  • Laughing until I cry. 
  •  Paint on my hands and clothes.
  • Old friends.
  • New friends.
  • Old Ophelia sleeping on my feet at night.
What's on your list?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...