Thursday, January 30, 2014

Wanderlust

snowframe
Photo by EK Wimmer

So, I was bitten by a bug a few weeks ago. I can tell you the moment it happened. We were sitting down with our dear friends Andy and Anne. They were telling us about their most recent adventures. They had gone to England and then Iceland. While in Iceland they got to see the Northern Lights. I know I can see them from here on special occasions (not that I have, but I have heard it does happen). This was after they were checking out some lava tubes, no biggie. They are about to move to Mexico for goodness sake. These people are out there, experiencing the world!

I listened to their adventures. I enjoyed their stories, but this time I was bitten by the bug. Wanderlust. I am ready to travel, really travel. For the past decade our travels have been rather limited. Once we started our family it naturally made us feel a little more like sticking close to home. I had no interest in a 15 hour flight with a colicky baby. Now....now I am ready to get back out and see this world. I want our daughters to see it too.

I have been researching options and dreaming dreams. What about a month teaching and exploring Italy? A trip to Japan where I can pretend to be a giant (I am tall fyi). Or how about a visit to Australia to see my friend Jennifer? Somewhere tropical. Anywhere really. Obviously it will take some serious planning. Travel is a luxury we can afford...with some advance planning. Which is fine, because our girls need to grow a little more before I will be ready to take them on longer adventures. Our finances need a little more stability before we will feel justified in our adventuring.

For now I am watching travel documentaries on Netflix, researching online, reading books, imagining where we will go. I keep reminding myself that I have this one short life and I have an awful lot that I need to do before I am done here.



8 comments:

Emily said...

Feel free to travel to Oklahoma! It's not very exotic, but we're here and we'd show you a good time. :)

Sarah Purdy said...

Let's go anywhere and everywhere! We can pick up Emily and then head down to see Anne. ROAD TRIP!

Marie Roxanne said...

Come to Ottawa Ontario, Canada, (not in the winter though... LOL)
The quaint sections of our city are beautiful, especially the Glebe area. You would like it there.

Kate said...

The kids enjoyed our trip to Puerto Rico last year as much as we did. IT's inexpensive, safe, and gorgeous. It's also an easy way to feel familiar while in an unfamiliar setting.

Anne Jezek said...

I'm liking Sarah's idea! Just for the record, sometimes I have domestic-lust (pretty sure I just made up that term...feel free to use it daily) when I see your wonderful home that you have created with Eric and the girls. I feel very fortunate that you allow us to share in that. :)

Love you guys!

On my way Home... said...

That would be pretty rockin'! I on the other hand am pretty content to never board a plane again. I'd love to hear adventures from Japan from your perspective. :)

Victoria said...

Italy 2015? We can arrange for an Italian babysitter for the girls while you paint. :)

AKM said...

A trip to STL with your parents for some Cardinal games is pretty low-key but SUPER SUPER FUN!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...