Monday, March 3, 2014

Atomic Gardens

While we were in Cheyenne over the weekend that insane storm came through. The temperatures plummeted and on Saturday morning we awoke to a cold and beautiful landscape. The temperatures hovered just below 0F. The trees looked as though they had been frosted with icing, gorgeous. Eric was there for a work event so he was busy for much of the day giving and attending lectures. I was left with the task of entertaining the ladies.

Untitled

Untitled

We noticed that there was something going on at the capitol building. There were huge mountains of snow that had been shaped into slides, forts, snow people. Unfortunately it was just a bit too cold for such little girls. So I decided that we would laugh in the face of the extended winter and visit the greenhouse at the  botanic gardens, or atomic gardens as Cordelia calls them. I will pause while you squeal at the adorableness of that....

We drove over to the greenhouse and it was just gorgeous outside. There was a bubbling stream at which twenty or so robins had congregated. Their red breasts against the soft white snow was breathtaking. Unfortunately I couldn't get a photo so I will let you use your imagination.

We entered the building and had the place to ourselves. The heat and humidity were a wonderful change from the cold and dry winter air. There were plants and a small pond and green growing things aplenty.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Cordelia was quite nervous in the cactus section, requesting that I keep a tight hold on her sister. I am certain my parents are laughing as they read this; I was exactly the same about my brothers when I was young.
 Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

A great way to spend the coldest of days.

4 comments:

Emily said...

I love our "atomic garden" here too. That's a good reminder to go check it out again as winter is still going strong here. At least this week! Looks like your girls enjoyed it!

Sarah Purdy said...

How cool! I'd heard about the Botanic Gardens but assumed that it was an outdoor summer thing. Good to know - will add that to the "What to do if I'm ever stuck in Cheyenne with the kids" list.

Mon said...

Great idea! And yes, we did laugh aloud at Cordelia (aka little Maria) worrying about the cactus. The worried face photo looked quite familiar as well.

Michelle said...

Enjoyed this story and I think Cordelia has probably added a phrase to the family vocabulary. Will "Atomic Gardens" last as long as "Drive Safe and Sanitary"?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...