Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Individuality

 I am big on individuality. Growing up I always found it deeply insulting when friends or acquaintances would copy my style. Obviously I didn't live in a bubble and I was getting my style ideas from somewhere, but I was certainly annoyed when my (copied) style was repeated. I knew the age old saying, imitation it the sincerest form of flattery, but it still irked me. I recall a time in the 90s when I started wearing Mary Jane shoes, this was when they were beginning their zillionth incarnation as an en vogue shoe and several girls in my crowd were wearing them at the time. Anyway, some girls from a different crowd made fun of my Mary Jane shoes, calling them witchy. I didn't mind at all...until they started wearing the same shoes a few months later! Argh that really upset my sense of style and I immediately dropped my shoes off at the thrift store. Such drama teenagers have! I mean, in retrospect I get it, teens are trying to find their way and there are very few things over which they have control, makes sense I guess.Thankfully I moved past that phase by the time I was in my late teens, who cared? I have maintained the who cares stance to present day, because really, it doesn't matter.

Then, I had two daughters. I think it is really important that they develop as individuals. I have put a lot of thought into how best to help them to feel like they are standing on their own and creating their own light. So when Cordelia started asking to dress in the same clothes as her sister I was hesitant to agree. Why did she want them to dress alike? I am not really sure what I was thinking. I finally decided to acquiesce. Both girls are ecstatic to dress the same on occasion. They have a few outfits that are identical (thanks to my mother) and when they have the same clothes on it's like something changes, as though they are team members. I have no idea why they want to do this, but it sure is sweet. So, their individuality shines through in other ways, there's really no holding that back anyway.


 

Untitled




4 comments:

Sarah Purdy said...

I love it! Those dresses are so sweet and Cordy's hair!! Elise's piggies! So, so cute!! 9 billion exclamation points!!!!!!

Marie Roxanne said...

I used to see mothers dress their kids the same when they were in a big crowd like a convention. That made sense. But when I was a teen, there were triplets at my school, 2 boys and a girl. The two boys had the exact same clothes, but different colors, one wore browns and the other wore blues. I hated that.

Victoria said...

Oh Gawd! They are so darling!

Mom said...

I don't think there is any risk that those two will lose their individuality! Nevertheless, it is sweet when they want to dress alike, especially since they are so proud to be sisters.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...