Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Vegan Recipe(s): Mago Chutney and Mango Chutney Tofu Salad

Here are another couple of recipes moved over from rootedvegan.

mango chutney by rooted-vegan.blogspot.com

Let's face it, chutney  (or chuteney if you watch The New Girl) is boss! I love it. Sweet and savory all in one. You can put it anywhere...food-wise I mean, don't put it in your pencil box or anything...and it makes it better. Here is my recipe for an easy mango chutney. My next couple of recipes will include mango chutney, so you'll have some new ways to use it.

2 T olive oil
1/2 white onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 large mangoes, peeled and roughly chopped
1/4 c raisins
1/4 c vegan sugar
1/4 c agave
1/4 c apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp salt

1. In a sauce pan heat the oil over medium high heat.
2. Add the onion and cook until translucent.
3. Add everything else and reduce heat to medium. Stirring occasionally until the chutney thickens.
4. Let cool and serve at room temperature.
Enjoy!
~Maria Rose

Now that you have the chutney, here is a recipe to put that chutney to good use.


 Mango Chutney Tofu Salad by rooted-vegan.blogspot.com

I went to undergrad in Missoula, MT. I loved the community. While we were there my husband worked at this AMAZING co-op called The Good Food Store. Inside of said store they had a place where you could buy salad or have sandwiches made. While we were visiting a few years ago I tried their Mango Chutney Salad. It was sooo good that I made note of all the ingredients on the list (there was no recipe). I have tried, and completely failed to recreate this tasty dish, but in my efforts I created my own delicious version. I can seriously eat this my the spoonful, put it in a salad, or a wrap


1/2 c veganaise
2/3 c mango chutney (click here for recipe)
juice from half a lemon
1 bell pepper cored and chopped into bite sized pieces
2 stalks of celery thinly sliced into half moons
1-2 green onions, green parts only, sliced
1/2 c cashews, roasted and unsalted
1 T shredded coconut
1 package of extra firm tofu, pressed and cut into cubes (make sure to press)

1. In a mixing bowl combine the vegenaise, chutney, lemon juice. Stir.
2. Add everything else except the tofu. Stir.
3. Add the tofu and gently combine without mashing the tofu...or mash it, tastes the same.

Now you can eat as is or you can add it to a sandwich or a wrap with some mixed greens.

Mango Chutney Tofu Salad by rooted-vegan.blogspot.com

Enjoy!
~Maria Rose

1 comment:

Mom said...

Oh, that looks so yummy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...