Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Project: Ice Balloons


 ice balls

It's no secret that it has been mighty cold here in the state of Wyoming. Often that cold is coupled with insane wind which means we spend a lot of time indoors. Thankfully this often leads us to come up with fun projects. Yesterday after lunch the girls and I decided to freeze some water-balloons.I added a little color to the balloons to give them something special. I used it as an opportunity to talk about freezing and solid vs. liquid, see what I did there? Educational points, boom. We also talked about the dilution of color, having added a very dark color to the balloons.

You could also add seeds or small leaves for a more natural/adult look that would also benefit animals.

We set them out in backyard the snow for the night.

ice balls

This morning I gathered them up in a big sauce pan and brought them inside, leaving a few outside to freeze all the way through, in spite of the frigid temps the balloons weren't completely frozen.

ice balls

I cut off the balloons and there was a little gushing as the unfrozen middles poured out over the sink. I wasn't sure if this was a win or a fail at first. I mean I certainly hadn't expected them to gush water from the middle.

ice balls

I decided that I really liked the hollowed out globes, they had a really delicate beauty to them.

ice balls

Then we took them out front and set them in the snow as temporary decorations. If I were having a party I think I would do this with a dozen or so balloons and then insert led lights into the hollow center, it would be magical!

ice balls

The girls were impressed with our little project.

ice balls

I mean really, it's pretty.

ice balls

They look a bit like the glass water balls that people use to water indoor plants.

ice balls

 Who knows, when the balloons I left outside are solidly frozen we might have to invent ice bowling.

ice balls

4 comments:

Sarah Purdy said...

Very cool! I can't wait to try that next time it gets super cold!

Anonymous said...

This is such a fun, inexpensive idea. We planned to do smaller balloons and hang them from our trees like ornaments for Christmas!

Mom said...

Wow! What a cool idea... get it? Cool.

sara said...

They look so cool! We will have to try this next time it gets cold here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...