Thursday, February 19, 2015

Best Compliment Eva

 Me

When Eric and I were poor college students we did everything that we could to pinch pennies. We lived simply, most of that we still do to this day. We still shop at thrift stores. We try not to live beyond our means (with the exception of unpredictable medical bills) and we generally don't spend money on ourselves; in fact I currently have one pair of pants and one pair of leggings that do not have a hole in them....perhaps I should remedy that. There is one area of our saving that has been a little bit pesky to us...

When we were in grad school and living in Denver there was a Walmart just up the street from us. We shopped there because it was cheap and convenient. I think that is probably the reason most people shop there. Anyway, as we would shop our moods would darken. People with dead eyes would shove past us, crying children who needed to be in bed or at the doctor were wheeled past us, people would fight, people were just kinda terrible. Yes, part of that is just what comes with city living, but part of it was Walmart. Eric and I swore off Walmart and our lives were better for it. And for years we were happy.

Then we moved to Wyoming. Ever been vegan in a small town in the Cowboy State? Well it isn't always simple. We have a route of a few different stores that we hit up for food. Good produce here, cheap tofu there, and then...Walmart (we call it Walfart). We just can't avoid it, they have stuff we need that costs significantly less than at any other store in our town. So that is where we are with that. I go there as infrequently as possible. While I will say that the Walmart here is far less miserable than the one in Denver it is always a bummer when I have to go there. I usually see things that I wish I could un-see. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for options like Walmart, that make it possible to be vegan in this state, but there is just something about that store that depresses me deeply.

Anyway, I was there earlier this week with the girls. I had rushed in to make a quick grab-and-go at a low traffic time. We got into line and were buying our food about to leave when the check out guy gave me a (the best) compliment. He said, "Well, you really don't look like someone who shops at Walmart." I smiled and thanked him and high-tailed it out of the store. Maybe I won't go back...

2 comments:

Anne Mason-Jezek said...

That really IS the best compliment ever. P.S. we call it Voldermart.

Mom said...

I still think you should have said, "I don't usually shop at Walmart. I usually shop at Goodwill."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...