Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Project for Quote Junkies

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business.
~A.A. Milne

If you have been reading my blog for long then you know that I enjoy a good quote. I think I started my obsession with quotes when I was a teenager and I "borrowed" this book from my father...
Still borrowing it after 15-20 years...

I started reading through the book which was largely funny, but also had some wisdom in there too.


I was also really drawn to the strange illustrations with the text.

Overall I just liked to read about others, their thoughts. From that point until present I am always drawn to those bits of wisdom shared by others. Well, some quotes are absolute nonsense and then sometimes they hit me so directly. Occasionally they are right in line with my own thinking, other times it is where I am headed.

I am seeking, I am striving, I am in it with all my heart."
~Vincent Van Gogh

I collect quotes. They speak to me at different points in my life. I use them as a meditation or a reflection on an idea that I am having. I search for wisdom that deals with something I am struggling through. For instance I found great comfort in this quote, repeating it to myself as I dealt with the devestation of miscarriage several years back.

There is in every true woman's heart, a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity, but which kindles up and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity.
~ Washington Irving

I am open to all quotes, but I certainly am most drawn to words about art and growth. 

Eric has also developed his own love of quotes. Actually he has a folder of quotes from me---no wisdom in those quotes, just the nonsense that I say. 

Anyway, that gets me to a simple project that is absolutely perfect for the new year! I often pack Eric's lunch for work and I include a quote shoved in his lunch bag. The quotes I choose for him are usually art related or funny. He doesn't want to read deep soul searching words at lunch, but a light hearted quote is always well placed. I recently made a quote jar just to contain all of the quotes so they weren't free floating around the house. I say this is a great project for the new year because you can easily assemble 365 quotes, one per day.

You will need:
•a large container
•365 quotes. If you are not a collector of quotes you can go to a reputable quote source online and print them off.
 

1) Cut the quotes into strips, removing excess paper. The idea is that you want to make it into something like a long fortune from a fortune cookie, thin.

2) Carefully put them in you jar and take one out each day.

3) Think about the quote a few times throughout the day. Do you agree with the words or is it all nonsense? Why? Think your thoughts and be thankful that you are a sentient being.



3 comments:

Roxanne Veinotte said...

Good idea! We can also do that with Bible Scriptures.

affectioknit said...

What a good idea...we actually did something similar with table blessings when Scout was little...we had an old shaving mug and we filled it with little prayers he could say at table...

~Have a lovely day!

Sarah Purdy said...

I like this idea! I think it would also make a great birthday gift idea.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...