Saturday, July 25, 2009

Mystery Chimney

Many of you know that we recently moved into a quirky rental house. The longer we live here the more we notice the little things that are just a bit off about it. I think the house has gone through many incarnations and reflects a little something from each change it's been through. The floors aren't entirely level, the walls play fast and loose with the notion of a straight line. Really I don't mind, it kind of reflects what type of gal I am. I respect a good guesstimate (estimate+ guess= guesstimate) and clearly many of them have been employed in the creation of our humble abode.

Photobucket

The other day I was returning from a walk when I took a look at our roof. I noticed that there was a chimney right on top. What?! There is no fireplace in my house, not even the remnants of a fireplace. How could that be? I went inside and took a look around, secretly hoping that somewhere, somehow I had missed a room with a warm cozy fireplace. Not that I want to start a fire right now, it's crazy hot, but it would be nice this winter. I tried to look in the general location below the chimney. I looked in closets and cupboards. I searched the ceiling for some sign that there had once been bricks. Alas, I couldn't find the secret room with the fireplace.

I mentioned the chimney to Eric and he had to commence his own search as well. I guess it's just human nature. Anyway, neither of us could find any indication that there had ever been a fireplace in this house. So, either the house has just been totally gutted and refurbished or there is a tiny fireplace in the attic. We're not allowed in the crawlspace attic and I don't think we'd want to go in there anyway. So, this winter you'd better believe I will be looking for any telltale smoke coming from that chimney. If I see it I will know without a doubt that there is a gang of squirrels living in the attic using a charming little fireplace.

5 comments:

Beth said...

It is official you have to be the worlds coolest person.

sophie said...

How cool - but kinda sucks if you can't use it. We have a gas outlet sticking out of the wall in our rental house, we would love to have gas heaters but the landlord disconnected it! What a doofus.

Stacy said...

Even the squirrels love a good s'more. ;-)

Morhu said...

I would guess it DID have a fire place, which is covered over. You could always grab a stud finder and go looking for a really big void behind the sheet rock!...

the dwellers said...

When we moved into each of our last two houses, our children turned into total detectives. Investigations with backpacks on, clipboards for sketching curious features, list of questions to see what info B. and I were 'hiding'. They love searching for a mystery.

Want me to ask their advice on your chimney from nowhere? :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...