Friday, June 3, 2011

Attack of the Bean Curd or A Simple Lunch Recipe

IMG_5916

I get a lot of folks asking me what tofu is all about. A gelatinous white blob of flavorless bean curd pretty much sends most people running in the opposite direction. When I first tried tofu I was terrified by this pigment-free foe. I did an awful job of preparing it and the slimy tofu just slithered down my throat and into my belly, uncertain if it was going to stay put. Thank goodness I didn't give up right then and there. I decided that I had to master this business of tofu. I had some real failures (see here for evidence). So I have been working to that end for many years and I can tell you that tofu is actually pretty awesome. It is totally versatile, you can use it for everything from sandwich filler to pudding and they are all delicious!

One simple way to dip your toes into the tofu ocean is through the wrap (old faithful). Yesterday I made one variation that I will share with you today:

For the baked tofu
* One block of extra firm tofu, cubed
*Approximately 1 Tbs. each: olive oil, maple syrup, soy sauce or tamari
*Approximately 1/2 tsp. liquid smoke
* Dash each of curry powder, pepper, garlic powder

Pre-heat oven to 375 F. Put the cubed tofu in a bowl and add everything else. Toss lightly to coat being careful not to break the cubes. Spread tofu in a thin layer on a cookie sheet and bake for 15-25 min. About 10 minutes in go and check the tofu, flip it so that it cooks on both sides. When it is slightly crisp remove from the oven. You can use this in a wrap (see below), on salads, or just eat it as a snack.

Now for the wrap
*Tortillas
*Hummus
*Mixed baby greens
*Chopped tomato
*Baked tofu
* Mixed olives, chopped
*Chopped walnuts, other nuts are fine too
* Seedless grapes, chopped
* Anything else that sounds good: grated carrots, beets, sliced avocado, etc.

This is definitely not an exact science. I just smear a tortilla with hummus and then toss in whatever else sounds good or is sitting in my fridge. Enjoy!

Are you a master of tofu? Have you ever tried it?

3 comments:

Indian Recipes said...

hi
Thanks for sharing this recipe to all. The users can more utilize your site, find more recipe information by your blog.
keep update it.

Thanks
richard

Susan S said...

Yes, I've enjoyed tofu quite a bit. I've even just cubed raw tofu into a salad and enjoyed it, but the crispy version is most definitely better!

affectioknit said...

YUM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...