Last night I was lecturing to my students and I was discussing how there are different schools of thought for about pretty much every avenue of art history or really any area of life. I could see the wheels turning for some of my students, perhaps this was the first time they had even realized that they live in a world where black and white truths just aren't a reality. I moved on with my lecture, but the thought stayed with me.
I used to want to live in a black and white world. I wanted to know what was right and what was wrong, what was true and what was false. Obviously I came to realize that black and white is different for each and every person. I began to review the list in my mind of things that I knew to be true and really there are few things that I do know with certainty....
- Donkeys and manatees are adorable
- Montana is home to me
- Making something myself is far more satisfying than buying it
- I am not always right...unless the disagreement is with either of my brothers
- Going vegan was one of the best choices I have ever made
- Coloring my hair black in high school was a bad decision. I looked weird
What do you know with certainty?