Friday, February 10, 2012

With Certainty

me

Last night I was lecturing to my students and I was discussing how there are different schools of thought for about pretty much every avenue of art history or really any area of life. I could see the wheels turning for some of my students, perhaps this was the first time they had even realized that they live in a world where black and white truths just aren't a reality. I moved on with my lecture, but the thought stayed with me.

I used to want to live in a black and white world. I wanted to know what was right and what was wrong, what was true and what was false. Obviously I came to realize that black and white is different for each and every person. I began to review the list in my mind of things that I knew to be true and really there are few things that I do know with certainty....
  • Donkeys and manatees are adorable
  • Montana is home to me
  • Making something myself is far more satisfying than buying it
  • I am not always right...unless the disagreement is with either of my brothers
  • Going vegan was one of the best choices I have ever made
  • Coloring my hair black in high school was a bad decision. I looked weird

What do you know with certainty?

7 comments:

paola_ said...

I really should try to write down a list like yours 'cause I sometimes realise that I'm still living in a black and white world... and that's not always funny.
Your post also made me think about a book of an I talina author, Pirandello, who said that there are thousands of myself according to how many people know me. Not everything is always as we thought it to be.

Anonymous said...

Zeno's paradox...also, you are infinitely close to being not right when you argue with me.

Emily said...

I am certain that I am glad we met! :)

Daphne said...

I saw a gentle donkey tonight (a miniature one -- even better!!) and thought of you. :)d

Maria Rose said...

Oh my goodness a mini-gentle donkey!!!! My heart would explode!

singlemama said...

with certainty I only know that everything passes and is constantly changing. myself too.

sophie said...

With certainty deciding to have Siena was the best decision of my life!
Never give up on family members! Even when they are difficult, unreasonable and distant - they are family!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...