Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Over a Lifetime

Things are off to a good start between these two sisters. The first thing that they want in the morning is each other. They play together, laugh together and endlessly sing the soundtrack to Frozen together. When I found out just over two years ago (read this post) that we were having another little girl I was overjoyed. I know sisters can drive each other mad, but I also know how close sisters can be, forming friendships that last a lifetime. I want nothing more than for our daughters to have that close bond, something that will carry them through all seasons of their life.

Untitled

I want them to play and argue in their youth, figuring out how best to deal with different personalities will serve them well as they move forward into the outside world. They are already learning this through sharing their possessions and the attentions of their family. I hope that they have wild adventures, both real and imagined. I want them to look back on their youth with happiness as they recall the role their sister played in their life: supporting, annoying, laughing, playing.

During their teen years I hope that they vent to each other about how unfair their parents are being. I want them to talk about crushes and plan their dreams for the future. I hope that they will trade off being the voice of reason and always work to push each other to grow while still protecting each other from the world at large. I want Eric and I to have to bang on their door well into the night and remind them that they can't talk all night. I want them to argue and fight and learn to resolve their problems on their own. I want them to laugh until they cry and annoy each other to the brink of sanity---you know, like siblings are supposed to. Most of all though I want them to love each other, and they do.

Sisters

I dream that no matter where their lives take them that they will be in constant contact. Keeping involved in each other's lives as much as they can, in the ways that work best for them. I hope that they will support each other and cry together. I hope that when they are old ladies that they will live in a house together and reflect back on how much richer their lives were because of each other.

3 comments:

Sarah Purdy said...

Beautiful.

Mom said...

What Sarah said...

Marie Roxanne said...

What Sarah and Mom said...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...